Tony is a solicitor and ex-mariner. He is skilled in providing legal and practical advice to ship owners, charterers, hull insurers and P&I clubs concerning marine casualties, salvage, collisions, charterparty disputes and cargo claims. Tony has particular expertise in carrying out and managing complex casualty investigations, drawing on his experience as both a mariner and a lawyer.
He has experience of High Court and London arbitration, and has experience of cases involving multi-jurisdictional proceedings.
Prior to becoming a solicitor, Tony was a Royal Navy officer for more than eight years, during which time he served as Officer of the Watch on a variety of vessels including an aircraft carrier. Tony trained in frigates, an ice patrol ship and a fishery protection vessel keeping navigation watches and conducting seamanship evolutions. He has navigated with ECDIS.
Tony has experience of maritime security and was involved in counter-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden. He also has experience of managing cyber security procedures onboard ships, having served as the IT security officer on an aircraft carrier.
Tony’s experience includes:
- Conducting casualty investigations, obtaining VDR, ECDIS, documentary and witness evidence, and assisting owners/crew manage casualty situations onboard vessels.
- Acting for owners in unsafe port claims against charterers subsequent to groundings in port limits, damage caused by dock infrastructure and significant delay to cargo operations.
- Advising owners and insurers after vessel collisions on jurisdiction, general average, liability, limitation and quantum.
- Advising owners in their defence of claims from cable-operators and port owners resulting from damage caused by vessels to subsea cables and port infrastructure.
- Acting for professional salvors in Lloyds Arbitration and non-LOF claims against vessels and cargo interests for salvage in connection with groundings, fires and immobilisation. Tony also has experience of acting for owners defending salvage claims by tug owners, tug crews and a pilot.
- Advising owners and/or charterers in relation to claims resulting from damage caused during cargo operations – for example ship damage during STS transfers and stevedore damage to vessels.
- Acting in tug and tow cases where one party is claiming from the other for physical damage, delay or loss of business.
- Advising parties to vessel sale contracts where post-delivery defects arise/are alleged.
- Advising owners or charterers in relation to charterparty issues arising from vessel damage, including contributions to general average, deviation, unseaworthiness and liability of the carrier for cargo damage. Providing mariner knowledge in personal injury cases.
- Joined Bentleys January 2015