Sarah is regularly instructed on a range of commercial shipping matters including charterparty and bill of lading disputes.
Sarah is an accomplished sailor. She has competed internationally and also spent a year working on yachts and luxury motor yachts prior to university. She is a qualified Yachtmaster.
In line with her experience in the yacht industry, Sarah is instructed to deal with a variety of yacht and superyacht claims and disputes, including casualties and disputes arising under sale contracts.
Sarah advises on contracts relevant to superyacht operations, including charters, management agreements and refit contracts. She also advises on regulatory issues including those arising in respect of the Maritime Labour Convention and crewing generally and accordingly also works alongside the personal injury department in the event of injuries.
Articles and comment
- Sarah is a speaker at the Yacht Racing Forum 2016 and 2017, speaking this year on crisis management.
- Sarah is a contributor to the Maritime Services Diploma in Marine Insurance Claims, writing the module on ‘Legal Aspects Associated with Marine Insurance Handling’.
- Speaks regularly with Joanna Steele on matters related to the Insurance Act 2015.
- “Are professionals in the Superyacht industry all at sea when it comes to insurance?” Professional Yachting Association Supplement, Autumn/ Winter 2015.
- “Superyacht valuations – the dangers pf pre-contractual non-disclosure and reforms under the Insurance Act 2015”, Client circular September 2015.
Sarah’s experience includes:
- Advising owners and charterers and their insurers on the defence of cargo claims and recovery actions against sub-charterers, including the under the Inter Club Agreement.
- Handling charterparty disputes for owners and charterers.
- Acting for an owner and their insurers in relation to a super yacht collision including advising on matters of limitation of liability.
- Advising yacht owners and their insurers on cover issues arising out of groundings, including total and constructive total losses.
- Advising owners and their insurers on cover issues relating to crew and the MLC arising from personal injury accidents
- Acting for buyers/brokers in relation to a dispute arising under the MOA for a yacht sale and purchase.
- Drafting and advising on contracts for the refits of superyachts, chartering and management agreements.
- Working for an International Group P&I Club as a claims executive prior to joining Bentleys, and again on secondment to another IG Club in 2009.
- Joined Bentleys 2005, Partner 2016
- Exeter University
- Qualified Yachtmaster