Paul has a "dry" maritime practice, consisting predominantly of P&I and defence matters. Paul receives instructions from owners, charterers and cargo interests together with their respective insurers.
Paul’s experience covers a full range of maritime and insurance disputes, involving arbitration, mediation and commercial litigation at the highest appellate level.
Paul has extensive experience in dealing with disputes arising in respect of bills of lading and other contracts of carriage, as well as charterparty recoveries. Paul has developed particular expertise in handling containerised cargo claims and liquid cargo contamination claims involving complex technical issues.
Paul’s experience includes:
- Acting for Maersk Line in a case concerning package limitation in the context of the Hague and Hague-Visby Rules and the application of those rules: Kyokuyo Co Ltd v A.P. Møller -Maersk A/S (The “Maersk Tangier”)  EWHC 654 (Comm)
- Carlos Soto Sau & anor v AP Moller-Maersk AS (The “SFL Hawk”)  EWHC 458 (Comm) (02 March 2015)
- Acting for the successful charterers in a matter concerning the time bar of claims for the purpose of the Inter Club Agreement 1996: M.H. Progress Lines SA v Orient Shipping Rotterdam BV & Ors (The “Genuis Star 1”)  EWHC 3083 (Comm) (28 November 2011)
- Acting for the owners in a case concerning the application of the Hague-Visby Rules to the carriage of deck cargo and the exclusion of liability for negligence: Onego Shipping & Chartering BV V JSC Arcadia Shipping (The “Socol 3”  EWHC 777 (Comm)
- Notable cases include the “Achilleas” and the “Maersk Tangier”.
- Joined Bentleys 1999, Partner 2008
- Paul graduated with a degree in physics from Oxford University