Joanna specialises in shipping and marine insurance dispute resolution involving arbitration, the High Court and mediation.
She advises clients on a broad range of matters encompassing contracts of carriage, charterparties, ship sale and shipbuilding contracts, as well as international sale contracts. Joanna has considerable experience of advising shipowners, charterers and their insurers on complex P&I and other problems often involving vessel breakdowns and general average.
She works with foreign lawyers and contacts to deal with multijurisdictional disputes. Her clients also include traders, as well as managers and intermediaries with broking or agency problems. Joanna regularly advises on marine insurance policies and coverage issues.
- Established the modern law on the carriage of dangerous cargoes, acting for the successful owners in the GIANNIS NK  1 Lloyds Rep 337
- Numerous subsequent cases involving dangerous cargo
- P&I and other marine insurance coverage advice: including MLC, piracy and confiscation
- Defending cargo claims arising from groundings, loss of deck cargo and other marine casualties, with associated indemnity claims and general average issues
- Charterparty expertise: hire, liens on freight and cargo, bunker quality, unsafe ports and other disputes
- Advice on shipbuilding contract warranties and exclusion clauses
- Conduct of LMAA arbitration, High Court proceedings, mediation
- Joined Bentleys 1990, Partner 1993
- Oxford University